We’re going to let you in on a little secret and you can thank us later.. If you want a new baking recipe this holiday you’ve got to try these butter cookies!
These are easy to make, melt in your mouth cookies that as Lo claims doesn’t even need icing. They’re perfect for kids because the dough is easy to roll out and this year we added food coloring straight to the dough to switch it up!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs vanilla or lemon
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Sift together flour and baking powder
- Cream butter and add sugar little at a time. Beat egg and add to butter mixture.
- Add in vanilla
- Stir in flour a little at a time. Mix well.
- Refrigerate dough at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll very thin & cut into cookies.
We did decorate some of them with Royal Icing.. For those who haven’t heard of this it’s easy to work with icing that hardens when it drys. QUICK TIP: If you want to add sprinkles or other toppings do so right away!
ROYAL ICING RECIPE:
- 1 lb powdered sugar (about 4 cups or 450 grams)
- 4 egg whites (or 1/2 cup liquid egg whites)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice OR vanilla extract ( we used vanilla) – this helps with the hardening process!
- Optional: food coloring in desired colors
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy.
- Switch to low speed and gradually sift the sugar into the egg whites until it’s completely incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice (or vanilla) and beat on high speed until the icing is very thick and forms stiff peaks, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add food coloring if you wish!
And TA-DA you have yourself some delicious cookies! Enjoy!
Lex and Lo